Colour it right: Holi Skincare Tips To Avoid Skin Damage
by Debdutta Mitra on Mar 04, 2023
Bhaang, colours and pichkaris. These are the most essential things that relay in your mind ahead of the festival of colours: Holi. But what stands more important during that period is proper care to avoid damage to your hair and skin.
According to experts, Holi colours have an everlasting effect on your skin as most of them consist of chemicals which can cause skin dryness and irritation. Apart from that, these chemical components strip the skin’s moisture and dry it out, making it prone to acne and dermatitis.
Hence, we at Leal, bring to you some skincare tips to inculcate before and after the Holi festival to prevent any harmful side effects.
Pre-Festivities Care Tips
- Don’t skip the oil: You may have oiled your hair ahead of playing Holi but what about your skin? You must generously apply oil on your body that will help to create a thick barrier between your skin and all the harmful colours.
- Be hydrated as much as possible: It is extremely important to stay hydrated during the celebrations. You must drink enough water and also eat Vitamin C-rich foods that produce antioxidants to fight against radical elements generated by chemical-ridden colours.
- Nourishing lip balms are a key: As far as the most sensitive part of your skin is concerned, a natural lip balm must be applied before you step out. They bring in required moisture and prevent harmful colours from damaging and drying out your lips.
- Sunscreen: Holi is fun when played outdoors but have you wondered what happens to your coloured skin when it is exposed to the sun? It snatches away all the moisture leaving you with dry, tanned skin and prone to skin damage. The best remedy to avoid such a situation is to apply an appropriate amount of sunscreen before stepping outdoors to protect your skin against harmful UV rays.
- Avoid using actives or chemical peels: A week before Holi, avoid chemical peels, laser treatments, fillers or actives (AHA/BHA, retinol).
Post- Festivities Care Tips
- Avoid the usage of warm water: Warm water may be comforting but it should be avoided to clean off colours and rather, cold water must be used. Exposure to cold water increases the blood flow in your body and this helps in better protection from chemicals.
- Postpone any salon visit: Your routine appointment may be pending but it is suggested that since your skin is exposed to Holi colours, any waxing or threading must be avoided at least for a week.
- Sunburns need to be treated: You have high chances of contracting sunburns while paying Holi outdoors. Hence, it is feasible to rub an ice cube wrapped in a thin cloth over all affected areas to reduce the redness and burns.
- Moisturizing the skin properly: After the colourful celebrations, a hydrating moisturizer is the next element after washing off the colour from your skin to protect skin barriers and give your skin the much-needed nourishment it needs.
- Use a gentle scrub: Exfoliation is necessary to get rid off any colour left after washing off. You can use a gentle, pH-balanced scrub and rinse it off with cold water.
Hence, if the above-mentioned tips are followed, the chemical-ridden colours can’t damage your skin and hamper the fun this Holi season. Also, it's suggested that you use organic and natural colours like organic gulaal and turmeric powder (haldi) instead of chemical colours.
Here are a few products offered by us that may help you take the perfect care of your skin this Holi season:-
- Whipped Soaps: A creamy-textured, sulphate-free and pH- balanced soap is ideal for removing dirt, colours and chemicals from your skin while retaining natural moisture levels at the same time.
- Whipped Sugar Scrubs: A mild, brightening scrub will help to get rid off chemical-ridden colours from the skin with its natural sugar particles without being harsh on the skin.
- Ethereal Face Oil Elixir: A light-weight, cold-pressed face oil elixir bottled with 5 natural, anti-oxidant rich oils can be applied before playing Holi to keep your skin nourished and avoid any skin damage.
- Whipped Lip Butter: Made of plant-derived oils and butters, lip butters moisturize your lips to protect them from any chemical damage caused by the colours.
- Alaskan Paradise Whipped Body Butter: A nourishing body butter loaded with anti-oxidant oils and raw shea and cocoa butters can help to moisturize irritated, dry skin post Holi.